Thursday, August 05, 2004

A Sense of Proportion - Part One

I got a bulk email the other day, originally from someone connected with the Cardinal's office, urging me to make a submission to the Senate regarding the proposed new legislation on marriage- the bulk of these submissions so far had been from homosexual lobby groups, the email said, and it was my duty to stand up for the traditional Catholic model of marriage. The link provided with the email led me to the website of a Christian action group which claimed this was a watershed moment, a great crisis, and that if I didn't act now I would regret it later. I thought about it, but didn't end up writing to my Senators (they ignored me on Stem Cells, after all; and I'm not sure if one is out of rehab yet). I guess I don't see that we have any right to meddle in the definition of civil marriage, just as we would be understandably miffed if any government tried to meddle with sacramental marriage. They are essentially two completely different things with the same name, like the republican movement (Australia) and the Republican party (U. S.).

No comments: