Saturday, November 06, 2004

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

This is a brief NaNoWrimo comment... I tend to take on other people's mannerisms when speaking to them, and other people's styles if I am reading while I write. Last November I did not read any novels, and found it easy to keep my own style throughout, but then I was writing in Tsai. It seems more difficult to keep hold of my own voice in the 'real world' - I find my current effort is being influenced by Isabel Allende's amazonian novel, by John Christopher's tripod series, by the Danny Dunn novels, the prophet Ezekiel, and (of course) William S Burroughs' yage eating (or is it smoking? or drinking?) adventures in the jungles of Ecuador. I am hoping that the number of novels drawing from this particular set of influences is small enough that the final product will seem reasonably non-derivative, regardless...

1 comment:

Dave said...

That's an interesting collection of prevailing influences. I look forward to seeing what's produced from such a melange.